Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Apocalypse by Mario Ogu


This isn’t how I expected the world to end.
Outside there are birds, there’s a sun, there are people, but the world is ending.
I expected there to be an apocalypse. I expected the birds to die, the sun to eclipse and the people to scream.
 I expected to be running, foot after foot, on ground that was slowly giving way from under me.
I expected the sky to turn black with menace, the clouds to grow morbid grimaces looking down on our poor, deluded souls.
Deluded because we believed that things would always be like this.
Deluded because we didn’t realize all beginnings have an ending.
I expected hell to rise or Buddha to come gliding down, majestic grace too godly, too pure for our eyes that soon would no longer be ours.
 I expected fire to come down with a vengeance.
  Striking everyone, lighting everything, Hell everywhere! No more lush greens or urban grays. No more nature delights and man-made pollution. No! Everything would begin anew, the fire serving to purify us,
 To relieve us from all the fuck ups we have made and would have made without it.
I expected all of that, but none of them happened.
 It’s funny how our nightmares lie to us, leading us astray. Making us believe that the greatest fear we should have is some divine intervention. Some reckoning. Some punishment for our pleasures and avarice. But that’s not what’ll destroy us.
No, the world ended when she came to me, beautiful green eyes lit with remorse, telling me that it was over. Telling me that she couldn’t do it anymore, that we couldn’t be together. THAT’S how it happened. That’s how the sky lost its hue and the clouds became sinister
That’s how MY world ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment